Custom sales tax rates can be set up to be automatically charged on your taxable items - only items that have been marked as taxable will be charged the tax rate. You also have the option to manually add or override the existing sales tax as you are creating a new transaction, without creating a taxable catalog item.
Get started with setting up sales tax:
- Select “Settings” from the sidebar menu
- Select “Sales Tax”
- Create new tax rates with up to three decimal points, and select “Add Rate” - you'll also have the option here to name the tax rate
- Use the checkbox to enable tax rates for all taxable items
Create a transaction with a custom tax rate:
- Select “New Payment”
- Add an existing item, or enter in a custom item and amount
- Use the “Sales Tax” field to manually enter in a dollar amount to be used for sales tax. This will override any percentage tax you have active for this transaction, and instead use the dollar amount you’ve input as your sales tax.