Void: Canceling a transaction before it settles with the processor.
Refund: Issuing a credit back to the customer after the transaction has settled with the processor.
To start a void/refund from Omni:
- Click the Payments tab on the left
- Use the search function to find the transaction
- Select the transaction
- Select Refund
- Enter amount to refund (if you are voiding, you will only be able to void the full amount)
- Select Refund
- Refund/void will automatically process
- Once successful, the transaction will show as “Void” or “Refunded” depending on the action that is performed. Please note, a refund typically takes 3-5 business days to post back to the cardholder’s bank statement.
The option to cancel a transaction will be available on your account as soon as the original transaction is processed. Upon looking to cancel a transaction, you will see that there is an option for refund. If the transaction has not settled with the processor, you will be voiding the transaction. If it has already settled, you will be refunding the customer. No matter the action, the button will always display as Refund.
The time in which your transactions settle is dependent on your gateway and if you have any questions on the time in which this takes place, please reach out to your account manager or the customer support team for assistance.
Please note that when voiding a transaction the authorization will still show as “pending” on the cardholder’s bank statement, and the amount of time it takes to fall off the bank statement is dependent on the cardholder’s bank. You will not be charged interchange on voided transactions, only the per transaction amount (authorization fee).
When refunding a transaction, interchange will still be charged on the original sale. The authorization fee will be charged for both the sale and the refund.